Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sophie Blackall on Etsy

After stumbling upon Sophie Blackall's work in Lucky, I had to check it out on Etsy.  Sophie is an Aussie editorial artist that has been in Brooklyn since the early 2000.  After illustrating for musicians and such, she started interpreting "Missed Connections" when men and women wish they had introduced themselves to someone who had caught their eye.  Maybe it's the hopeless romantic in me, but I am really into Sophie Blackall right now.            xx

"Messages in bottles, smoke signals, letters written in the sand; the modern equivalents are the funny, sad, beautiful, hopeful, hopeless, poetic posts on Missed Connections websites. Every day hundreds of strangers reach out to other strangers on the strength of a glance, a smile or a blue hat. Their messages have the lifespan of a butterfly. I'm trying to pin a few of them down."


Wednesday, September 29, 2010
-m4w (Danbury gas station)
So you came in out of the rain to do your paperwork and could only show me a few tats... I saw the scissors and would love to see the rest.Wednesday came and went. I am still waiting.




Sunday, May 9, 2010
-m4w -19 (2 or 5 train)
You were the gorgeous brunette sleeping on the train. I was the guy sitting next to you. I just wanted to apologize for my repeated lack of consciousness onto your shoulder, we both got off at flatbush. Hit me back up if you think this is you.




Sunday, April 26, 2009
– m4w – 24
You wore an awesome color changing dress to the BBQ on Skillman Ave in Williamsburg, but someone spilled wine on it.
You left too quickly...I'd like to see you again.


No comments:

Post a Comment