Saturday, June 4, 2011

Currently Reading: Parisian Chic A Style Guide by Ines de la Fressange


After reading about the beautifully red paperbacked book on Who What Wear, I knew I had to read it!  I had almost forgotten about it, since it had been months since appearing on the blog, but when I spotted it at BooksAMillion, I mad the purchase immediately.  The soft red covers and delicate sketches had me fawning over the days I had personally spent in Paris.  (I absolutely loved seeing the sights, having lunches at the street cafes, the crepes!! and the romantic sounds of their language; however, traveling Paris on a budget was not my thing.  It would have been more memorable if it was more GG in Nanette Lepore.)
Back to the book.  The style guide did have a bit of exactly that, but it also explored where to shop for what in Paris, how to decorate a home, what hotels to visit and museums and see.


One book review that I agreed with very much read, "Overall, Ines de la Fressange seems like a fun enough lady, and the tone of the book is conversational and easy to read. Unfortunately as a fashion guide the book leaves much to be desired. The major advice seems to be, "to dress like a Parisian, buy all your clothes from shops in Paris." Which I probably could have figured out on my own". 


After reading the "basic must haves" I was very appreciate of her opinion and image ideas, but this was about the only style advice given.  I expected too see more glamour and, well, Parisian chic.  I will say that it is most definitely worth buying (on Amazon, do not pay $29.99) if you have been, want to go or are living in Paris.  This style guide is more of a lifestyle guide and can actually be very useful.    xx

No comments:

Post a Comment